Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Perfect Circle

Thirteenth Step, Virgin Records America Inc., EMI

If you like Tool, Primus, Marilyn Manson, or the Smashing Pumpkins then you’re one of few who have both heard of, and want to like Perfect Circle. A so-called supergroup of veteran musicians whose "winding, off-kilter rhythms and contrapuntal guitar riffs" are oft praised. But, I sorta feel about this, their second record the way I felt about the first record and the time I saw them live -- I want to like them, but can’t. Maynard, who sings, writes, produced, executive produced and directed the art work for this release, is a well liked neighbourhood celebrity in a small Arizona town I often visit, and adore – but I just can’t get into the band. Their music just doesn’t do it for me, and this album is no exception. There are highlights, track 2 “Weak and Powerless” no surprise as the first single and “Gravity” are atmospheric with enticingly unique lyrics clearly heard. Overall, an unlucky thirteen for the latest recruits in an all-star cast that sound remarkably tight but lack genuine chemistry.

No comments: