Wednesday, July 05, 2006

More Local Music Reviews?

A Stones Throw Festival, took place in Hillsburgh, on Saturday Jun 24.

They had promised free beer 1-3pm and then that my friends, The Houseplants would play 9ish. And, did they! I can now tell you I was sincerely glad to be invited to this day-to-night spectacle o' music. Wonderful music on a beautiful 100 acre farm. Where camping was available and indeed suggested. A PWYC event that delivered, including performances by cts including Grande Fir, Heather Needham, and The Campfire Poets. I'd seen many of these acts at the Theatre in Orangeville the night before, where I most struck by a fairly new Houseplants tune starring Perry Joseph (formerly of the Juno-nominated Tabarruk) on vocals, about "I know how much you miss her and I know how hard you tried."Clearly, he tried. And, was successful, in pulling together a successful and fully enjoyable fundraiser. He was most gracious and comfortable of any of the performers, perhaps because of his duel role as host. The whole show was his brain child and was a good idea well executed, for a good cause. The girl who opened was a really good musician and she had a nice voice but what really stole my attention that evening was the funny faces made by the singing for their supper guys. Take the 905 and put it in the country and great voices and great musicianship is what we get I guess.

Joseph explained "About one month ago very dear friend Donato (Dan) Scipione, a local musician and teacher, was involved in a very serious car accident, and he won't work for quite a while. All of his friends are trying to help one of our family, in the way they know best... which is to play some music and invite others to come, to be a part of this barn raising!"

No comments: